Ancestral Nourishment - Beef Liver Capsules - Product Review
Organ meat, and especially liver, is one of the most nutrient-dense foods on the planet yet the majority of us are either deterred by the taste, texture or idea of consuming organ meats or maybe it’s the availability that is an issue. This is why organ supplements can be a great alternative!
How are beef liver capsules made?
Desiccated beef liver supplements contain beef liver that has been dried and ground into powder. Where manufacturers of beef liver supplements use a gentle freeze-drying method to turn raw liver into powdered gel capsules that are tasteless and easy to swallow.
Additionally, freeze-drying, as opposed to using high heat during the manufacturing process, ensures that most of the liver’s nutrients remain intact and are ready for absorption.
Three grams of freeze-dried liver (common dosage for liver supplements) contains the same micronutrients as approximately 30g of fresh beef liver. It also has approximately 2 grams of protein (compared to about 7 grams in one ounce of fresh beef liver) and negligible amounts of fat and carbs.
- Preformed Vitamin A (aka retinol)
- Vitamin B12
- Bioavailable Iron
- Hyaluronic Acid
Source is Everything
As with all supplements, the source and quality is everything! Unfortunately the supplement market is rather unregulated and can be filled with misleading and sub-par products. However, by knowing what to look out for and sticking to tried and trusted brands, you can be confident in what you are getting.
When selecting an Organ Meat supplement, you should keep an eye out for the following:
- Grass-Fed and Pasture-Raised
- Hormone, Pesticide & GMO Free
- No Fillers (or) Flow Agents
- Preferably Non-Defatted
- 100% Freeze Dried
Benefits of Beef Liver
The benefits of beef liver may include the following:
- Healthy Teeth, Gums, Skin & Hair
- Healthy Joints, Ligaments & Tendons
- Collagen Production
- Energy Metabolism
- Immune Function
- Heart, Brain & Liver Health
My Review - Biohacker Tristan van Moerkerken
Aside from their usual offering of meat and dairy products, they have made available a Beef liver capsule supplement. As with all supplements, source is everything and this product from Ancestral Nourishment ticks all the boxes!
- Regenerative farming
- 100% grass-fed & grass finished
- Free from hormones, antibiotics & pesticides
- No fillers, flow agents or preservatives
The Product comes packaged in a simple glass jar with a paper label. Inside, 150x 600mg beef liver capsules (gelatin capsules obviously). Dosage: 5x 600mg capsules = 3g of desiccated beef liver
- Product is clean, simple and looks the part. The sustainable packaging approach is simply a bonus.
- For some individuals, the thought of a 5 capsule serving might be daunting. However, you can split this dosage up throughout the day if preferred.
- The product has a subtle “biltong-ish” smell, unpleasant but to be expected
- Thankfully the product does not leave any after-taste in your mouth
So far so good. The product is simple and a great solution to the lack of organ meat in our everyday diets. The product is sustainable, bullsh*t free and supports local businesses here in South Africa.
In terms of notable benefits, this is difficult to pinpoint. I have noticed a subtle change in my energy levels and mood (possibly attributed to vitamin A and hormone regulation). However, the science and logic behind the product make sense and I strongly believe in its use. Overall, Liver is a greatly underrated food. It’s low in calories and rich in high-quality protein, with an incredible nutrient density!